On Friday 18th November 2016, Bebington High Sports College were awarded, for the second time in four years the title of Merseyside School of the Year by The Merseyside Sports Partnership Board.
The award was announced at the annual Sporting Champions evening, held this year at Aintree Racecourse. There are 93 Secondary Schools in Merseyside and just to be shortlisted into the final 4 was a fantastic achievement so to win represents an incredible accolade and is testament to the hard work, passion, innovation and dedication demonstrated by our school in general and the PE department especially. Also shortlisted for the award were: Cowley International College, St. Helen's, Formby High School, Sefton and Range High School, Sefton.
When awarding the School of the Year the Merseyside Sports Partnership Board consider the following:
- Strong links with the wider Community
- A good Youth Policy in leadership activities and development of pupils as volunteers and qualified coaches
- School Games Kite Mark accreditation
- Strong extra - curricular club links and activities
- A school development plan being used for PE and School Sport
- The development of pupils into local / regional / national and international athletes
- Evidence of an equity policy
- Volunteer recruitment, recognition and reward systems
- Strong links to Local Sports Clubs
- CPD accessed by any teachers in past 12 months
- How the school has improved the health and wellbeing of its students
We were able to demonstrate considerable evidence in each of the categories. Mr. Connolly, in his acceptance speech made reference to the superb, long-standing backing of the school's senior leadership team and the dedication of the PE staff. Everyone at the school is delighted with the award.
If you would like to find out more about our PE department please visit the PE section of our website.